RIYADH: Two Saudi border guards were killed and one was wounded by a man trying to cross into Yemen early Tuesday, Interior Ministry said. The man trying to enter Yemen was also killed, Interior Ministry spokesman Mansour Al-Turki told Reuters. The shootout took place in the southern province of Najran after midnight on the porous border with Yemen. Saudi television station Al-Ekhbariya had earlier reported that three border guards had been killed. The two policemen killed were a colonel and a sergeant. The wounded policeman was also a sergeant, Turki said. “We are investigating and we will release a statement as soon as we know the man's identity,” he added. The man shot at the guards with an automatic weapon while driving a jeep and was killed in the exchange of fire, state news agency SPA reported. Last year drug smugglers shot dead two Saudi border guards.