ROME: Rome has “definitively” abandoned plans to hold a Formula One race after widespread opposition and will concentrate on its 2020 Olympic bid, Mayor Gianni Alemanno said Friday. The city had wanted to host an annual grand prix through the streets of the EUR district from 2013 but last week F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone wrote to the mayor saying Italy, which already has a race at Monza, could not hold two events per year. “Today we definitively and formally abandon the Formula One project for Rome,” Alemanno told a news conference.