MAKKAH — The number of pilgrims this year has decreased by 200,000 compared to last year, according to the head of the Presidency of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques. Sheikh Abdulrahman Al-Sudais said this was due to the expansion projects under way in the Grand Mosque which will make Haj and Umrah easier for pilgrims. Al-Sudais said the decrease in the number of pilgrims was clearly witnessed during Ramadan. He asked all Muslims to refrain from breaking regulations and performing Haj without a permit. The Ministry of Interior and other security bodies were working full time to maintain safety and security of pilgrims, he claimed. Continuous meetings are held to coordinate the efforts of those participating in Haj and to prepare the necessary plans to ensure the pilgrims' safety and comfort, he said. Al-Sudais extended his gratitude to the Islamic world for their understanding of the decision to reduce the number of pilgrims. Over 1.1m pilgrims arrive Meanwhile, over 1.1 million pilgrims have arrived in the Kingdom till Sunday, according to Director of Passports Maj. Gen. Salim Al-Belaihid. Out of this, about a million pilgrims entered the Kingdom by air, 63,620 by land, and 13,627 by sea.